Scanner Australia Broadcasting
Sign in to follow this  
slippery

Newbie From Brisbane

heyas, i just ordered a ICOM R2500, i hope it's as good as it looks.

I used to have a Realistic Pro 200 channel scanner a for years until it started doing wierd things so i gave it away.

I'm also lookng at getting a HF/UHF/VHF radio, like the ICOM IC-706/IC-7000 or the Yaseu 857D but don't know anything about them, so i'm doing a heap of research, and also getting a Foundation Licence.

Antennas are a whole different world, but am looking at adding a discone 100mhz - 3300mhz which i can use for my scanner aswell.

geees lots of dollars to spend though!

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forums. I have not expanded the guide and manual range to the iCom systems yet but it should be added soon.

Any questions feel free to ask anyway.

Richad

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forums. I have not expanded the guide and manual range to the iCom systems yet but it should be added soon.

Any questions feel free to ask anyway.

Richad

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't actually looked around at the different pages yet but will have sticky beak.

a bit of an update:

I have been doing some work on my setup over the last few months since i have joined this site, and did a little more work today, so i thought i'd show it off.

The list:
GME TX4200 UHF
Icom IC 7000 amatuer radio, HF, VHF, UHF - using a LDG AT7000 Auto Tuner for HF
Icom PCR2500 scanner
Toshiba Notebook NB200

The notebook is probably the special feature,

it has internet with a large external antenna for country use. Also has a Hiacom GPS receiver and i use the software Oziexplorer with my own Googleearth calibrated maps. The GPS gear does not require the internet.

The notebook can also control the scanner. The scanner does have a remote head, but features are limited so if you're parked up somewhere at camp you can flick the laptop on and play with the scanner.

This all runs off the second battery so doesn't affect the startin battery. In the photos you can see the voltage meter/thermometer/clock. This measures outside and inside temps, and second battery voltage. When i have the fridge on the ute i place the outside thermometer inside the fridge so i can monitor the fridge temperture from inside the cab. That wasn't really the main intention, i just bought it so i could monitor the voltage, but the extra features are very handy.

pics..
slippery_mobile_2010a.jpg

Checking the swr with the auto tuner. The IC7000 has an inbuilt swr meter, i'm getting an external swr meter because i don't trust the inbuilt one.

slippery_mobile_swr.jpg

notebook, runs scanner software, GPS and internet

slippery_mobile_gps.jpg

hopefully someone may find this info usefull, any feedbck is always welcome :)

Nice set up! I wish I could grab a Icom IC 7000 - but thats not possible for me at the moment.

Those photos will be nice for the upcoming photo gallery here on the forums.

yer the IC7000 is a really nice radio. I did a fair bit of research and pondering over what i should get, and although it's probably more expensive than any other multiband/mobile radio, i think it's probably one of the best ones available, so i bit the bullet and spent the money, hopefully doing the job right the first time.

I was very tempted by the Yaesus 857 and 957, but i kept coming back to these ones.

Yeah Richad, i think the forum could do with some interesting things to grab people, and everyone loves photos.

I am about to invest in member gallery package which allows users to create their own photo albums (either public or private). Also the stream is coming back together with the release of the streaming application. So lots of stuff happening soon.