Scanner Australia Broadcasting
walabytrak

"stuck My Head In And Decided To Stay"

G'Day, After the living in the bush for twelve years I have decided to purchase a scanner to gain a bit more information on what's happenin' around me an d the missu's while I am doin' my Wombat bit.. sittin in the bunker while the hot stuff burns overhead and proceeds on its merry way.I was going to purchase a uniden 396T, BUT...I found out i really don't know what i'm talkin'about.so here I am.... :unsure: :blink: :unsure: .
Can some kind fella' or Lady ..with heaps of knowledge and patience ,help,suggest,recommend a scanner for an old bloke to use in the truck and bunker... many thanks.
Kind Regards to All
Walabytrak

Mate,

Welcome

More info is needed what do u want to scan... A bunker???? what type?

Where are you located what frequencies do you want to listen to

Mate,

Welcome

More info is needed what do u want to scan... A bunker???? what type?

Where are you located what frequencies do you want to listen to

G'Day Tony,Thank You, Mainly CFA,DSE,emergency services,air traffic helicopter bomber etc,not necessarily police,bunker underground in the side of a hill 9 x 9 with a metre of earth on top all red gum timber shored,no metal..Malmsbury Vic Area.
I have a GME uhf TX3440 in the patrol.

thank's Tony
regards
Ray
wallabytrack@gmail.com
Edited by walabytrak

have u looked into the 396t

Yes Tony I did, I have purchased the ubcd396t package and an antenea from from Prestige Comms, I will let you know how I go after I have a play.
That's if I can keep the Mrs.. out of my ear,maybe I should have told her first.....dad allways said, if you wanna buy something go ahead and do it and worry about the consequinces later....well now i am. :(
Cheers
Ray

Really, if you are in the bush, most systems are still analogue. A Handheld analogue scanner will be much more beneficial/cheaper, say something like a UBC73XLT.

Really, if you are in the bush, most systems are still analogue. A Handheld analogue scanner will be much more beneficial/cheaper, say something like a UBC73XLT.

Oh'well this unit scans either hey, so i reckon i have the best of both worlds for a while,when i was a kid i had a crystal set,couldn't figure that out either,thanks for your advice mate,it's good to know someone is looking out for me.
kind regards,
Ray

If you get stuck programming it, I just finished writing about 2,000 channels into mine. I'll be happy to help

Edited by melbscan

If you get stuck programming it, I just finished writing about 2,000 channels into mine. I'll be happy to help

That is very generous of you,and i will certainly ask you for some advice,i have not recieved the unit yet.. maybe today,I downloaded the manual on monday and had a read,Jeeeeezuz what have i got myself into? :(
How long did it take you to write in 2,000 channels?.....i thought some came preloaded.Honestly I dont know where to start.
I will let you know how i go today if it arrives.
Cheers,
Ray

I basically spent a fair chunk of the long weekend scrawling through websites full of info, putting them into excel spreadsheets and exporting them into USAD files. I put a hell of a lot of stuff in there that I probably will never even use, i put the entire SMR & Fleetcoms network in there, which takes a decent chunk. The scanner can't track them but I thought I'd throw them in anyway. It does come loaded with some stuff in there, but its pretty much only CB & Airband. To get the full use out of the scanner realistically you'd need to program most frequencies with a name, and group them accordingly.

In this device there are a few new things compared to your old regular scanner. Throw out the old method of "Channel Numbers" and welcome "Groups" and "Channels" - Scan banks are no longer and they are replaced by "Systems"

Basically it is setup like this

SYSTEM - GROUP - CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- GROUP - CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
and so on and so on
SYSTEM - GROUP - CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- GROUP - CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- GROUP - CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL

Each system can have a quick key (scan bank) and each group can have a quick key inside its system.
Its handy to have, I basically have mine like this
FIRE SERVICES - CFA - CFA
- DSE
- LOCAL REGION
- AIR
MMR MFB - MFB - DISPATCH
- FIREGROUND
- TECHS
MMR MAS - MAS - EAST CHANNEL
- WEST CHANNEL
- SOUTH CHANNEL
- CLINICIAN
- NON EMERG
VICPOL COUNTRY - REGION - CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- REGION - CHANNEL
- CHANNEL
- CHANNEL (etc)
RURAL AMBO - EMERG - CHANNELS
- AIR - CHANNELS
LOCAL - LOCAL STUFF - CHANNELS
- ST JOHN AMB
- SES
- AIRBAND
- SHOPPING CENTERS
- RESCUE
- TELSTRA DOME
- SHERRIFFS

All your agencies can be in seperate groups and their channels programmed individually.