Scanner Australia Broadcasting
Sign in to follow this  
rumbles

Hey All

Hey guys, how's it going?

Was a 27MHz nut years ago, but in the last 14 have been into scanning, particularly CFA frequencies. I live in a rural area prone to fire, and like to know as much as possible in advance. Unfortunately we had a big one this year, but my house wouldn't be standing now, if not for the integral part the scanner played in our fire plan.

Had the Phillips FM900 first which has been modded and can only scan (not transmit) on local CFA Region frequencies, the handheld is set to pretty much the same, but I got a bit interested in some of the higher frequencies from that one. Recently purchased the T9 as I was after a wider coverage of CFA frequencies, and have found it can do a lot more than that, but have only skimmed the surface of it's capabilities. The T9 is in the car, but may end up being the base. The FM900 is the current base running off a MobileOne Scantenna on the roof, but we're 500Metres above sea level so it gets out ok, but will be looking at a base antenna in the near future for just that little bit extra!

Found this forum in a random Google for antennas! :P

Hope to gain some handy info & frequencies, and meet some interesting folks!

Cheers :D

Same, I found this forum whilst googling for other info.

Seeing as most metro services are now digital I have found myself monitoring CFA, DSE, SES, St John Ambulance, Country Police, Taxi's and business radio. I just recently overhauled and re-programmed my entire 400 ch's on the scanner. If you are after any frequencies drop me a PM with your area and I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Same, I found this forum whilst googling for other info.

Seeing as most metro services are now digital I have found myself monitoring CFA, DSE, SES, St John Ambulance, Country Police, Taxi's and business radio. I just recently overhauled and re-programmed my entire 400 ch's on the scanner. If you are after any frequencies drop me a PM with your area and I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Cheers mate, I'm right in the middle of CFA Regions 12, 13 & 14. Haven't looked into any DSE freq's yet though. I'll give you hoy when I get organised!
First job is bigger antenna! Edited by rumbles

DSE Mt Beenak IC has been fairly busy due to the fires, and even to some extent PP1. Mt Beenak IC has had a lot of chatter on it about dozers, firefighters - interstate and local, logistics and replenishments. I'm getting them reasonably well on a 30cm whip which is sitting on top of my bookcase, as I am between houses. St John Ambulance CH5 is fairly busy, there is a couple of CFA air channels that have had some activity as well.

Yeah I've only just got the T9, it's intended for the car, but sitting on my desk with the telescopic antenna supplied while I have a play with it, only getting local ICC and DivCom stuff. Want to plug it into the whip on the roof, but that terminates too far away from my desk for it to happen! Was thinking of grabbing a Mobile One Scabase , what do you reckon? I have problems with destructive Rosellas / Parrots & Mynahs, and if I get an elaborate antenna like a Dicone, I'll get something built in it like a nest, or broken off it, and it's on a second-storey pitched roof and not the easiest to get to, so need a good, but unsouthern enduming antenna.

Also wondering, if I hook up two scanners to the one antenna via a BNC 'T' piece in the coax, will that degrade signal from antenna?

Cheers,

Welcome to SA,

Hope you enjoy it

Good to see your making use of the forums :)

ScaBase would be fine, I was using my old UHF 12db home base antenna that could easily pick up repeaters from either side of the bay. I've often wondered about the BNC T Adapter idea, I have never put it into practice though

Welcome to SA,

Hope you enjoy it

Good to see your making use of the forums :)

Cheers mate, got plenty of thread mining to do first!! ;)

ScaBase would be fine, I was using my old UHF 12db home base antenna that could easily pick up repeaters from either side of the bay. I've often wondered about the BNC T Adapter idea, I have never put it into practice though

No worries, I'll give the ScaBase a go then! I'll try the BNC junction, got all I need to do it, and getting sick of getting a signal but no modulation with the telescopic. Can reverse the junction anyway, but there's not really any way I can tell to see if signal gets degraded, especially if I have the base antenna going - signal should be a msouthern endive improvement on the whip!

Don't worry about digging up old threads. We need more discussions. It's been lacking a bit of activity lately. :)

LOL!! OK then. Just put the T9 in the car with a boot mount and Mobile One Scantenna.

Nice coverage on the CFA frequencies, I can hear clearly from Frankston & Phillip Island to Kinglake - approx 190K's, but I'm looking like a dodgem car with that whip :lol: That didn't worry me years ago when I had a 6' whip for the 27MHz set, but now I'm older and prefer to be low profile!! Is there a shorter antenna that can be got? I remember having an 8" one years ago with an adjustable stainless rod tip, but can't remember if that was for 27MHz, or UHF. Can anyone suggest a shorter one, but still with decent range?

Also, it's mounted in a DIN slot, so it's a bit lacking in volume, but my HU on the stereo doesn't have an AUX port, so I'm thinking an external speaker mounted under the dash somewhere - is a speaker like this, easy to get you think?

Cheers!